Friday, May 27, 2011

ALL IN A DAY'S WORK

Eyes wide open,as if screaming 'don't let me go'!
Monitors beaming with red alarms,proclaiming 'this is how I run the show'
Breaths gasping,searching for the elusive hope
Systems failing,like a flop joke


Yet another life fights the losing battle
The journey ending which once began with the cradle.
The loved one holding the frail hand prays
As promised light at end of the tunnel helplessly fades


I look at the flat line and nod my head
Yet another protocol to declare the dead


I silence the red alarm.I close the wide opened eyes
I cover the pale visage,as the multitude wails and cries
I wait for the moment
As if ,there's a set time for lament...


The moment arrives.I explain the formalities
With no remorse in my eyes for the never ending casualities


Skilled yet helpless
Willing yet ruthless
This is all I am...
All in a days work


-Abhishikth John
 nomads home

2 comments:

  1. Nice !! Beautiful Poem!! Depicts with stark brutality the helplesness of a Health care professional very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sunithi.
    It certainly is brutal sometimes...Especially When you are expected to show no emotions whatsoever.Its overwhelmingly painful and unbearably difficult to explain the patient parties about the grueling formalities when they are in extreme shock and pain of losing loved one
    Its so nerve wrecking...but inevitable.

    ReplyDelete